Biomass Supply List, advice for RHI claimants and wood fuel suppliers

Biomass Suppliers: Advice for RHI claimants and Woodfuel suppliers


From autumn 2015 all biomass fuel used by households, businesses and other organisations claiming the RHI must demonstrate that the fuel they are using is from a sustainable source. This is to prove that fuel used is meeting EU greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions targets.

All producers and traders supplying RHI installations must register on the Biomass Suppliers List (BSL). In practice this means all RHI claimants buying in woodfuel should buy from BSL registered suppliers. Even if you are self-supplying woodfuel from your own woodlands you will need to prove your fuel is sustainable and the easiest way is to register. The website is now live: There is a search facility to source and procure sustainable woodfuel in your area. There are already quite a few suppliers in Cumbria. You can find a registered supplier by entering you postcode here:

The Government is urging all participants to start sourcing their woodfuel from the BSL site as soon as possible.

Although suppliers listed on the site will all have been approved to have met the sustainability criteria this is not a guarantee of quality. All participants of the RHI are also be reminded to check their woodfuel products meet the quality standard required, such as EN Plus or Woodsure.


The criteria vary between the Commercial and Domestic RHI and different rules are to be applied to bought in wood fuel and self-supplied fuel, which are outlined below.

Commercial RHI Participants

Option A: Source woodfuel from the Biomass Suppliers List (BSL). OFGEM will then require a quarterly declaration (along with your quarterly RHI meter reading) that the woodfuel used within that period was sourced correctly. The regulations have also stated that you should keep records of your BSL registered supplier and delivery notes for a period of 5 years.

Option B: If you use an unregistered supplier for your wood fuel but you are confident of their sustainability, you can make quarterly declarations (along with your quarterly RHI meter readings) that the fuel you have used for that period meets the GHG and sustainability criteria. To evidence this declaration you will need to submit an annual sustainability audit to OFGEM at your own cost.

Domestic RHI Participants

There is only one option for domestic RHI biomass boiler. All wood fuel sourced for use in biomass boilers will need to be registered on the Biomass Suppliers List (BSL) at the time of consumption. Annual declarations will be required by OFGEM to confirm the wood fuel has been sourced correctly. The regulations have also stated that you should keep records of your BSL registered supplier and delivery notes for a period of 5 years.

Self-Suppliers (Domestic and Commercial RHI)

When using your own woodfuel you must register this with the Biomass Supplier List (BSL) in order to make quarterly declarations as above. As a self-supplier it is easier as you do not need to evidence compliance with the sustainability criteria. However, you will need to prove evidence such as a Forest Management Plan or Felling License, which can be uploaded with your application.

How do I apply?

Go to this website

The registration process is on-line and is simple for self-suppliers with installations smaller than 1mW.  For traders and producers and large installations it is a bit more involved. There is no fee to apply.

If you have further questions, try this link: The information on this webpage is available as a free pdf download below.

Supporting information